Wednesday, April 11, 2012

E is for Effort

If there's one thing that I hear over and over from my students it is this: "Oh, my professor didn't give me extra time. I just got a zero. It wasn't like that in high school."  Now, I'm certainly not beating up on high school teachers. They have a hard job and have to deal with a lot of things I don't have to, but I cannot tell my students enough times that from here on out, either you get things done or you don't. People will help you, but they will not micro-manage you. It's not that we don't care; we simply don't have time.

The key is effort. A friend of mine told me this on the day he graduated medical school: "A monkey can get a medical degree, but he has to be a very determined monkey." This isn't to say that doctors (or any other professional) don't have to be smart, but someone of average intelligence who consistently puts in effort will go farther than the genius who sits back and does nothing.

Keep working. Keep trying. Show me where you got stuck, and I'll help you.  Not even trying and throwing up your hands at the first sign of trouble will get you nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment