Friday, April 13, 2012

F is for Failure

It's going to happen.

If you push yourself out of your comfort zone. If you are willing to put yourself out there, you will eventually fail. It may be minor. It may be epic, but it's failure.

That is good news.  Why? Well, being perfect all the time isn't a reasonable goal. If it's a challenge, you will only set yourself up for anguish and frustration. If it's easy, than why do it? I play rugby. I don't play it well, but I have fun, go places I never would have been to otherwise, and meet new people. A veteran national team player passed along some advice that got her to the World Cup.

Get in there, and if you're going to mess up, make it huge.

Many times, playing safe will cause more problems and lead to more regret than going at it 100%. This is not the same as being foolish. Taking a challenging class can be gutsy. Do-it-yourself bungee jumping is stupid.

It's OK of you aren't spot on all the time.  Learn from what went right and what went wrong and go on from there. I'm going to end this with another quote, this one from Tony Robbins:

Live life fully while you're here. Experience everything. Take care of yourself and your friends. Have fun, be crazy, be weird. Go out and screw up! You're going to anyway, so you might as well enjoy the process. Take the opportunity to learn from your mistakes: find the cause of your problem and eliminate it. Don't try to be perfect; just be an excellent example of being human.

So go out there and and be human!

4 comments:

  1. Good post! So many people are afraid of failure, which causes them to not try anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your view on life! I'm right there with you. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree. I like the idea of failing big. So many of my role models and heroes, failed before they succeeded. It is the getting up after a failure that counts.
    Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am currently stidying after 10 years away. It is hard but I will not fail I need to get through this, it has made me stronger

    ReplyDelete