Friday, April 20, 2012

H is for Help

As you may have noticed, this is a blog about navigating the sometimes intimidating landscape that is college life. The good news is that you aren't the first to have what ever issues you are or could be facing. More good news is that you have people ready and willing to help you get past the rough spots.

A few years ago, one of my students told me "You professors are nice enough, but you just don't care about me." I explained to her that it wasn't true. While there will always be that one professor who may in it for the wrong reasons, we teach because we love our subject and want to share that knowledge and all the good things it brings with you. We may hold you to a high standard, but we are trying to build you up in to something better than you are today. A common first day activity in my freshman seminar classes is to give the students a list of activities (I have lived overseas, etc) and ask other classmates to indicate if they had done these things. I find it to be a good way to help everyone to tell a little about themselves as opposed to going around the room with the usual "tell the class one thing about yourself."

Another important lesson is that you get what you need by getting out of your seat and asking for it. I remind my students that unlike, high school, no one is going to micromanage them. We won't call the house and ask where they've been, we won't send emails to remind them of assignments, but we will help them if they need it. Some of the helpful people on campus include:

Librarians: These people are your absolute best friends when it comes to research. They know where all the good stuff is, where to find it, and how to cite it.

Counselors:  Maybe you don't know what major is best for you. Maybe you don't know how to deal with a situation at home. These people are great to talk to. If they can't help you, they will get you to the best place. They, like your professors, are also held to the same level of confidentiality as doctors and lawyers (by federal law in the US), so you can talk to them knowing your business won't be broadcast all over.

Professors: Have a question about an assignment? Need more information about a major or industry? Ask your professor. We love talking shop. The important thing is to catch us during office hours (or make an appointment), so we can give you full attention (before and after class is popular, but tough for us as we're usually rushing on to the next class). Also, questions about homework are best asked prior to the due date. "I don't understand this" in an email the night before does not count. It also takes away options I would have had to help you if you had just contacted me sooner.

There are lots of other helpful places and people, but you have to take the first step.  Good luck!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Love the theme:) I need to show this to my daughter who is currently a college student. :)

    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all - ok, almost all - of my college professors! I'm a big believer that you get out of college what you put into it - including relationships with professors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post! I fell a bit lost at my university but when you get a chance to speak to a lecturer they're more than happy to help.

    All the best,
    Jack

    http://jackedwardspoetry.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete