Friday, April 20, 2012

I is for Incomplete

It happens. Illness, finances, all sorts of things (both good and bad) can happen, and they tend to occur when we have the least time or resources to deal with them.

So let's say you're in college and your parents announce that because of a big promotion, you are all moving across state. Now. In the middle of the semester.

What can you do?

This actually happened to a student of mine. Fortunately, we were able to work out an arrangement where he stayed at a friend's house a few nights a week, allowing him to attend class once a week, and keeping up with the rest of the classes via e-mail.

Many times, unfortunately, the circumstances aren't that fortunate and the solutions aren't that neat and clean.  Job loss, poor health and family issues are common reasons why students have to withdraw from classes. The problem is that unless you drop the class at the start of the term, you rarely get your money back, your grades can suffer, and at the very least, you have to spend your time and money to retake the class.

What can you do?

As I've noted in other posts, there are options. The first step is to talk to your professor. Explain the situation as soon as you can. Ask what the options are. If it's not an ongoing issue, can extra time or an assignment modification be given? If you do have to drop the class, talk to the bursar's office. In certain circumstances (medical, etc), refunds past deadline can be given. The financial aid office can give you information on how a withdrawal will affect your account.

The important thing is to be proactive. If you go back after the semester and the grades are issued, you will have a lot fewer options than if you had let people know what was going on earlier in the semester. I hope nothing that affects you like this happens, but if it does, don't wait to get the help you need.

6 comments:

  1. I am a mum of 2 and doing the final papers of my batchelors via correspondence. My 1st essay was just due in on Tuesday but due to illness the last 2 weeks, an extension has been given :) As you said pays to talk to the people because there is always someone who can help and a little assistance can make all the difference between more time and not completing the course because of 1 silly little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you could get things worked out! I have always said that the worst thing you can do is nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated getting an incomplete in college. There is just something about that word, "incomplete."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me flash back 25 years to college life and the dreaded "incomplete". Nowadays in real life its the many other incompletes that can addup. However, its never too late to take an incomplete and finish it I have found. That's how I started my novel 15 years ago, wrote the 1st chap and put it away...13 years later I picked it up and completed it. Good luck with college (wonderful years!) and nice to be on the A to Z. Are you practicing your incomplete by not getting past I this week? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. great info... my husband got a job in another state.. our solution, i stayed behind with the kids so as to not uproot them... so our relationship is currently working as long distance...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I teach online Master's classes and the thing that I need most from my students is that they communicate with me.
    Rhia from Five Minute Piece for Inspiration (around #777 on the A to Z list)

    ReplyDelete